Most individuals ask this very question the first time they visit a Golden Retriever breeder. It’s natural – you may feel as if you don’t even know enough to ask several intelligent – and crucial – questions.
That’s why I’ve included these next several questions. You may not want – or even need – to ask all of these questions. Then, again, you may. Either way, this list provides you with an initial point at which you can open a dialogue. Depending on the answers you receive, you’ll discover that you may have some follow-up questions of your own.
Let’s start off with some general questions about Golden Retrievers and breeding in general:
- How long have you owned Golden Retrievers?
- How long you have been breeding them?
- Why do you own them? Do you show them or are they kept as family pets?
- Personally, what do you see as their most important single characteristic?
- In your years of handling these dogs, what health concerns seem to reappear?
- How would you describe the “ideal” Golden Retriever?
The questions above make for wonderful, all around conversation. Now, the following questions get more specific. They actually target in on your choice of puppies:
- Do you have a written contract and a puppy guarantee?
- At what age do the puppies have to be to go home with me?
- Do you intend to keep one of the puppies for yourself?
- How often do your dogs have puppies?
- Are your puppies whelped in your home?